- understand various rock drumming concepts, approaches, and techniques for playing effectively and with consistency in a rock style.
- identify why some grooves sound and feel the way they do and the ability to embellish and move smoothly in and out of fills.
- orchestrate effective grooves and fills around the drum set, such as basic eighth-note patterns, more complex sixteenth-note patterns and syncopated rock grooves with ghost notes.
- Lesson 1 - Basic 8th note rock grooves and syncopated fills. Introduction to the Flam rudiment and how to execute it properly. Song assignment; "Big Reptiles"
- Lesson 2 - Continuation of the flammed rock fill and introduction of alternate back beats. Regular time, half time, double time and the Motown groove examples and practice exercise. Introduction to ghost notes and syncopated 16th note fills. Song assignment; "Valley Rock"
- Lesson 3 - Continuation Of 16th note syncopated grooves and fills. Song assignment; "Not for Me to Say"
- Lesson 4 - Continuation Of 16th note syncopated grooves and fills. Introduction to triplets, Song assignment; "Fire & Ice"
- Lesson 5 - Continuation Of 16th note syncopated grooves and fills. Song assignment; "Potato"